db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From Army <qoz...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Optimizer work/issues/discussions....
Date Mon, 02 Oct 2006 17:29:13 GMT
Rick Hillegas wrote:

> Hi Bryan,
>
> A modest first step might be to output the plans in xml. The ouptut
> could then be post-processed into the format needed by your favorite
> graph visualization tool. Even just pulling the xml into your browser
> might be more readable than what we have today.

Agreed.

And as a bit of an "extra" from this, we could perhaps use Derby's own SQL/XML
operators to parse the query plans and pull-out the "pieces of interest", which
would in turn (in a dream world) allow us to write functional tests that can
verify the query plan in a assertion-based way instead of just dumping thousands
(and thousands) of lines of output to a master file and looking for the one or
two lines that actually matter...

Army