db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From Bryan Pendleton <bpendle...@amberpoint.com>
Subject Re: Diagnosing DERBY-47 and DERBY-713 (queries with IN (?,?) filters)
Date Mon, 02 Oct 2006 16:38:09 GMT
> I'd like to fix DERBY-47 and DERBY-713 (essentially the same bug), and
> so have been working to understand what is going wrong.

Great! Welcome to the community!

> as bytecode.  Can someone suggest a means of debugging the execution
> phase (or getting a human readable form of the code)?

I don't know the answer to this, but I think it's a great place to start.
Right now, I think that you can basically work with query plan dumps,
as described at http://wiki.apache.org/db-derby/PerformanceDiagnosisTips
and at http://db.apache.org/derby/docs/10.2/tuning/ttundepth33391.html

It seems like working at the query plan level is appropriate for DERBY-47
and DERBY-713; that is, it seems to me that if we can concisely express
the current query plan that Derby uses, and can concisely express the
desired query plan, we will be well on the way to describing the changes
that are needed.

Is this the direction you were heading?

thanks,

bryan