db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From <home4...@pacbell.net>
Subject Re: Numeric limitations in Derby - 'Largest decimal precision'
Date Tue, 03 Oct 2006 00:46:44 GMT
Thanks Andrew.  I updated the http://wiki.apache.org/db-derby/ReferenceManualTenTwo
wiki page to reflect that this change needs to be made in the docs still.

Susan
----- Original Message ----
From: Andrew McIntyre <mcintyre.a@gmail.com>
To: derby-dev@db.apache.org
Sent: Monday, October 2, 2006 12:16:45 AM
Subject: Re: Numeric limitations in Derby - 'Largest decimal precision'

On 9/1/06, Susan Cline <home4slc@pacbell.net> wrote:
> In the Reference manual, http://db.apache.org/derby/docs/10.2/ref/rrefnumericlimits.html,
> the 'Largest decimal precision' value is listed as 31,255.
>
> Shouldn't this be 31?  Or is there some meaning to the 255 after the 31 that I don't
understand?

Clearing out some old mail...

Correct. 31 is the greatest DECIMAL precision allowed. The value for
scale should be less than the precision value. Derby certainly does
not allow multiple thousands of digits of decimal precision, so this
entry in the developer's guide appears to be incorrect.

andrew