db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From Daniel J Debrunner <...@apache.org>
Subject Re: JDBC4-laden release
Date Mon, 02 Oct 2006 18:59:17 GMT

--- Rick Hillegas <Richard.Hillegas@Sun.COM> wrote:

> While 10.2.1.6 cooks, I'd like to start a discussion
> about the follow-on
> release which will expose our JDBC4 drivers after
> Java SE 6 goes GA.

Errmmm, 10.2.1.6 does expose Derby's JDBC 4 drivers.
The primary release of an open source project is the
source code, the jar files are just a convenience for
users.

> In the interests of quickly vetting the follow-on
> release, I propose that
> we spin it as a bugfix release cut from the living,
> growing end of the
> 10.2 branch. I realize it's unorthodox to expose a
> big feature in a
> bugfix release, but this approach seems simple and
> quick.

It's not exposing a big feature, the feature is
already exposed.

> If the
> community agrees, I volunteer to produce this
> follow-on release.

Sounds great. Looks like you would start creating
release candidates in second week of December, which
means there's plenty of time for bugs to be fixed
before this bug fix release. :-)

http://blogs.sun.com/mr/entry/java_se_6_schedule_update

Thanks,
Dan.