db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From Knut Anders Hatlen <Knut.Hat...@Sun.COM>
Subject Re: Missing release notes
Date Mon, 18 Sep 2006 15:57:12 GMT
Rick Hillegas <Richard.Hillegas@Sun.COM> writes:

> Knut Anders Hatlen wrote:
>
>>Rick Hillegas <Richard.Hillegas@Sun.COM> writes:
[....]
>>>DERBY-1314
>>>

>>There is a proposed release note in one of the comments.
>
> Thanks, Knut Anders. Could you do me a favor and rephrase the release
> note for DERBY-1314 so that it follows the standard format (Problem,
> Symptoms, Cause, Solution, Workaround). This will really help me.

Hi Rick, I have added a release note which follows the standard
format. I must say that I don't think all of the "behaviour change"
release notes fit into our standard format.

For instance, http://wiki.apache.org/db-derby/ReleaseNoteFormat says:

  PROBLEM: a short description of the problem that is being fixed.

  SYMPTOM: a description of the erroneous behavior. How does the user
  know that they've hit this problem?

Now, if the problem was that the 10.1 implementation was too liberal,
what is the symptom? That something did not fail? But the release note
is for 10.2, so the user who reads the release note should rather be
told which symptoms s/he could see after upgrading to 10.2.

To me it seems like the current format (problem, symptom, cause,
solution, workaround) is aimed at describing bugs that have been
fixed, not at describing problems that the user might run into after
the upgrade. I don't see any field which can be used to describe
existing application impact, which I thought was the whole point of
the release notes.

--
Knut Anders