db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From "Myrna van Lunteren" <m.v.lunte...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: problem with accentuate characters
Date Wed, 27 Sep 2006 20:09:18 GMT
On 9/27/06, François Vauchot <francois.vauchot@free.fr> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I'm French so excuse my english.
> I've a problem with a rs.getString("title") where title is a VARCHAR with
> value=caractère and ResultSet rs = prepStmt.executeQuery(). When I make a
> System.out.println("title="+ rs.getString("title")), the result is
> caract?re.
> Help me!

Allo François,

Voici tous ce que je peux ecrire en francais, so you're excused. :-)

I think with java you'll see the question mark whenever the console
encoding cannot adequately display a character.
The problem may be with how the encoding on the Derby database is set,
and/or what console encoding is when you run your application.
Is your database created with french locale?
(See: http://db.apache.org/derby/docs/10.2/ref/rrefattrib56769.html).
What's your console encoding (System.getProperty("console.encoding"))?

Myrna