db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From "Myrna van Lunteren" <m.v.lunte...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: running checkDataSource Client - remote server
Date Wed, 20 Sep 2006 16:07:55 GMT
On 9/20/06, Deepa Remesh <dremesh@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 9/19/06, Myrna van Lunteren <m.v.lunteren@gmail.com> wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I've been trying to run the test(s) checkDataSource(30).java against a
> > remote server.
> > Before the addition of the testClientDSConnectionAttributes() method
> > (svn revision 438122,
> > http://svn.apache.org/viewvc?view=rev&revision=438122) this used to
> > work (mostly). However, now I get connection refused errors:
> > ---------
> > DataSource - EMPTY
> >   getConnection() - 08001:java.net.ConnectException : Error connecting
> > to server localhost on port 1527 with message Connection refused:
> > connect.
> > ---
> > vs. expected:
> > --
> > DataSource - EMPTY
> >   getConnection() - 08001:Required Derby DataSource property
> > databaseName not set.
> > ---------
> >
> > This looks at first glance like a permissions problem, but I don't
> > think it is, for some reason the test is trying to make a connection
> > to a server on the local machine, at least, it's whining about the
> > localhost.
>
> I had added this additional client test to checkDataSource tests. In
> the test, the client DataSource objects use the default host name and
> hence try to connect to default host (localhost).
>
> Is there some way we can get the host name of machine where we intend
> to run network server during tests ? Then we can use
> setServerName/setPortNumber on the DataSource objects before calling
> the getConnection methods. This way, it should work in remote server
> and local tests.
>
> Thanks,
> Deepa

Hi Deepa,
When running the tests against a remote server, you pass in a property
'hostName' for the server's host(-DhostName=xyz.mycompany.com) to the
test harness. This can be accessed through the TestUtil.getHostName()
method.
I tried to add the following to this section in the tests (note,
edited the spacing):
 private static void testClientDSConnectionAttributes() throws SQLException {
    ClientDataSource ds = new ClientDataSource();

    System.out.println("DataSource - EMPTY");
+    String hostName=TestUtil.getHostName();
+    if ((hostName != null) && (!hostName.equals("localhost")))
+        ds.setConnectionAttributes("serverName=" + hostName);
But it seemed to have no effect, I must've done something wrong?

Myrna