db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From Craig L Russell <Craig.Russ...@Sun.COM>
Subject Re: 10.2 plans (was Re: 10.2 licensing issue)
Date Wed, 13 Sep 2006 00:05:33 GMT
I am impressed with Dan's Option B. It solves all of my issues (IANAL).

1. Users get binary release of 10.2 features (except for JDBC4) out
of the box.

2. Users who want to play developer get to build the sources to
expose JDBC4 with their own copy of JDK 1.6 which encumbers themselves.

3. And since we are already shipping it in source form, we can vote
to add JDBC4 binary in a maintenance release (once JDK 1.6 goes
final) by recompiling with a different flag (jdk16) in the build
process (and testing, testing, testing).

There is clearly work to do now to adapt the 10.2 bits to match the
proposal, but much less than other options we've recently looked at.

Craig

Craig Russell
clr@apache.org http://db.apache.org/jdo