db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From Knut Anders Hatlen <Knut.Hat...@Sun.COM>
Subject Re: SQL state 42, access permissions, SQL standard and JDBC 4.0
Date Thu, 07 Sep 2006 20:37:30 GMT
Mamta Satoor <msatoor@gmail.com> writes:

> Does 'N/A' in JDBC 4.0 spec(Table 6.1) mean Derby is free to choose the the
> SQL State number? If so, then I think we shold definitely use '42' for access
> rule violation since that will satisfy SQL specification too.
> Also it seems for access rule violation, SQLInvalidAuthorizationException
> would be the correct exception to throw.

I think the last sentence is missing a not. I found this description at

  The subclass of SQLException thrown when the SQLState class value is
  '28'. This indicated that the authorization credentials presented
  during connection establishment are not valid.

Sounds like a different kind of access violation.

> I think there is a trick to use same SQL state for 2 different
> exceptions in Derby code, but I can't recall how to do it.

You can separate between them with a suffix. From SQLState.java:

    String NOT_IMPLEMENTED = "0A000.S";

Knut Anders

View raw message