db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From "Francois Orsini" <francois.ors...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Compiling 10.2 Release Notes
Date Tue, 12 Sep 2006 18:47:02 GMT

> At some point, I will need to bundle Release Notes into the 10.2
> distributions. Here's a proposal for what I need to do:
>
> 1) Create a new top-level text file next to LICENSE and README. I'd like
> to call this file RELEASE-NOTES.

Minor nit but it should probably be RELEASE-NOTES.txt (note the added
extension) - This is what am seeing from other Apache projects. You may have
meant it already & implicitly.

2) Fill up this file with the following three sections:

> a) Features. These would be brief descriptions culled from the summary
> table on the snapshot wiki page:
> http://wiki.apache.org/db-derby/TenTwoSnapshot

Probably something like 'New features'

b) Release notes proper. These would be the release notes visible
> through the following JIRA filter:
>
> https://issues.apache.org/jira/secure/IssueNavigator.jspa?mode=hide&requestId=12311198
> .
> Currently, 22 notes appear in this filter.
>
> 3) Bug fixes. These would be the one line summaries from issues visible
> through the following JIRA filter:
>
> https://issues.apache.org/jira/secure/IssueNavigator.jspa?mode=hide&requestId=12311199
> .
> Currently, 373 issues appear in this filter. I think I can discard the
> following:
>
> a) issues which users wouldn't see, such as code cleanup tasks
>
> b) bug fixes also applied to 10.1.3.1
>
> I would like your advice:
>
> A) Overall, does this sound like a reasonable approach?

It does to me.

B) Are these filters the right ones or should I edit them?

Am assuming that your filter would not pick Documentation JIRA's - I don't
think Doc JIRA fixes should be exposed. My 0.02 cents.

C) Any tips about how to make this easier?

Not sure - Usually release notes always end-up being hand-crafted :)

Thanks,