db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From "Andrew McIntyre" <mcintyr...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Re: junit.jar can't be included without src NOTICE (was Re: OK to ship junit.jar?)
Date Tue, 26 Sep 2006 19:00:40 GMT
> Andrew McIntyre wrote:

> >> -0
> >>
> >> It may be ok in this case but it is not a good example to set. This
> >> means the release is inconsistent, which can be viewed in two ways:
> >>    - the source code within the release would not reproduce the same
> >> binaries as in the release
> >>    - picking up the code from svn directly using the svn revision number
> >> in the release will not lead to the same binaries.
> >
> > Why would this be true if the only change to the -src distribution
> > would be to a remove junit.jar, which is not present in the
> > repository?
>
> For two reasons:
>
>     1) I presume following the instructions in svn to build derby and a
> release package caused the junit.jar to end up in the release
>
>     2) Rick made changes to svn under DERBY-1886 to make sure (I
> presume) that if one followed the instructions to build a release that
> junit.jar no longer appeared in the package.

If the instructions for building a release (on the wiki, btw, not in
svn and not included in the release anywhere) included the instruction
"Remove junit.jar from your source tree before running any of the
targets in tools/release/build.xml" in the appropriate spot, then the
binaries produced by the targets would be the same as those we have
now for 10.2.1.5.

So, should we update the SnapshotAndRelease page to include that? Not
sure, since the problem has already been fixed for 10.2.1.5 (by hand)
and, as you've noted, for future releases (in svn).

Also, I've verified that the new -src packages differ only by their
exclusion of junit.jar.

andrew