db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From "Andrew McIntyre" <mcintyr...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Re: junit.jar can't be included without src NOTICE (was Re: OK to ship junit.jar?)
Date Tue, 26 Sep 2006 16:17:57 GMT
> Rick Hillegas wrote:
>

> > I have checked in a fix (DERBY-1886) which removes junit.jar from the
> > source distributions. I'd rather not spin a new release candidate.
> > Instead, I was hoping that the following would be adequate:
> >
> > 1) Hand-remove junit.jar from the source distributions for 10.2.1.5.
> >
> > 2) Re-sign those distributions.
> >
> > Does this sound adequate?
>
> -0
>
> It may be ok in this case but it is not a good example to set. This
> means the release is inconsistent, which can be viewed in two ways:
>    - the source code within the release would not reproduce the same
> binaries as in the release
>    - picking up the code from svn directly using the svn revision number
> in the release will not lead to the same binaries.

Why would this be true if the only change to the -src distribution
would be to a remove junit.jar, which is not present in the
repository?

That's why I gave a +1 the selective removal of junit.jar from the
-src distribution. As long as that was the *only* change, the -src
distribution would not be inconsistent with the binary distributions.

In fact, I have the before-and-after -src distributions, and I intend
to compare them to verify that the only change was the removal of
junit.jar some time today.

andrew