db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From "Andrew McIntyre" <mcintyr...@gmail.com>
Subject Script for building JDBC 4.0 into the derby jars (was Re: 10.2 plans)
Date Wed, 13 Sep 2006 17:08:53 GMT
On 9/13/06, David Van Couvering <David.Vancouvering@sun.com> wrote:
> Might I suggest we have a very simple build script for building the
> JDBC4 functionality and adding it to derby.jar and derbyclient.jar, and
> that this build script be well tested and documented?  All you should
> have to do is set one property indicating where your JDK 6 JAVA_HOME is
> and you're off and running...

A great idea, and an easy one to implement. Users will have to
download the source and one of the other distributions, but that's ok.

First, where it lives: I think it should go into tools/jdbc4 and then
it will show up in the src distribution automatically, which users
will need to download anyway.

It should be documented in the top-level index.html file, and maybe
elsewhere as well, and maybe specific documentation could be kept
along with the script if any is needed.

The script will:

* check for DERBY_HOME/lib/derby.jar and DERBY_HOME/lib/derbyclient.jar
* check that JAVA_HOME points to a 1.6 JDK.
* compiles the JDBC 4 support from a list of classes with the derby
jars as the classpath.
* updates the derby jars in DERBY_HOME/lib

and we should provide batch and shell versions.

Anything else? I could whip something together for people to try out
in short order. Anyone got an idea for a name? If no one has any
better suggestions, I'll go with 'update-with-jdbc4'

andrew