db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From "Andrew McIntyre" <mcintyr...@gmail.com>
Subject 10.2 plans (was Re: 10.2 licensing issue)
Date Tue, 12 Sep 2006 01:02:54 GMT
Taking this over to derby-dev...

On 9/11/06, Kathey Marsden <kmarsdenderby@sbcglobal.net> wrote:

> Many of these regressions sadly have already made their way into 10.1.3
> and therefore are being picked up by users for production.  I
> think we need to notify the user community of the situation, try to get
> more user input on 10.2 and  flush out more regressions.   We port fixes
> to 10.1 to try to get it to  a stable state and then release 10.2.  Also
> any ideas anyone has for new optimizer tests would be good and folks
> could write those.
>
> Those are all my ideas for now.  It could be that lots of users  have
> tried 10.2 without problems but haven't reported in and then it is just
> a matter of getting them to speak up.

I don't think we should hold up the 10.2 release except for known
regressions. I think it's a chicken-and-egg problem. Users aren't
motivated to try out the beta, because it's extra time and effort on
their part, so you aren't actually informed about regressions until
the regression is in a release that people actually try to use. Better
to release early so new code gets into actual user's hands so
regressions can be flushed out sooner. Regressions happen, and no
release is ever go to be perfect (although that would be nice,
wouldn't it?).
Better to release often so code where regressions have been identified
and fixed get into user's hands sooner.

I think releasing early and often is an area we as a community, and
individually through the tasks we take on for any particular release,
could improve.

andrew