db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From "Andrew McIntyre" <mcintyr...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Re: Release Notes
Date Fri, 08 Sep 2006 08:23:23 GMT
> Does that mean the downloaded packages have no release notes?  So if a
> release is made with known bugs, the only way to find that out is to go
> to the Apache Derby site and find the release notes there?
> This seems like an issue, it's typically to have this kind of
> information with the download, not separate. It's also based upon an
> assumption that internet access is easy, which is not true for all of
> the world. People may be getting Derby from CD/DVDs or bundled within
> other applications. Assuming there's an easy path back to the apacche
> site seems wrong.

Agreed. was the first release where issues that affect
user-visible behavior had proper release notes and were documented
before the release happened. I fear that I set a bad precedent there.

I think that for 10.2 (and any other releases going forward, including
a possible 10.1.4 release), that any issues that are known and
documented at the time of the release should be documented in a
release notes file at the top of the installation tree in all of the
distributions, along with a pointer to the release page on the website
so users can be informed of late-breaking issues with that particular
release. Does that sound reasonable?

View raw message