db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From "Andrew McIntyre" <mcintyr...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: SQL State 08001 "User id length ({0}) is outside the range of 1 to {1}."
Date Fri, 08 Sep 2006 04:49:24 GMT
On 9/7/06, Laura Stewart <scotsmatrix@gmail.com> wrote:
> I need to know the variables for the SQL State 08001 "User id length
> ({0}) is outside the range of 1 to {1}."
> I assume that the second variable is a number (the maximum number
> allowed) for a user ID. But is the first variable the length (as in a
> number) of the user ID?

The first number is the length of the user id with which a connection
attempt has been made. e.g. for connect
the first number would be 68.

The error wouldn't be thrown in that case though, because the second
number is the maximum length for a user id (for the network client),
currently 255 characters. Since user id is internally a String, I
believe that means a max of 255 16-bit Unicode characters, and not 255
bytes or chars, but I haven't actually tracked down how the userid is
parsed out of the connection URL and converted to a String to confirm
that is the absolute truth. It should be true for connections made
through a DataSource since the user id would have started out as a

View raw message