db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From "Andrew McIntyre" <mcintyr...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Re: DITA docs build problem - cannot replace ref with reftemp
Date Thu, 07 Sep 2006 17:11:43 GMT
On 9/7/06, Bryan Pendleton <bpendleton@amberpoint.com> wrote:
> Andrew McIntyre wrote:
> > Try deleting your out directory completely and then running the
> > html.ref target again.
>
> Hi Andrew, thanks for the suggestions. Unfortunately, it didn't help.
>
> I ran "ant -verbose html.ref" and captured the output, and the last
> page or two is pasted below.
>
> I guess I'm not quite sure what Ant is trying to do here. It seems
> to have decided to copy each of the files from the old directory ("reftemp")
> to the new directory ("ref"), and it succeeds at doing that, but then
> it tries to rename the directory "reftemp" to be the directory "ref", and
> of course that fails because the directory "ref" already exists at this
> point.
>
> I think that Ant should have either
>   - simply renamed the directory, without copying its contents from the old
>     directory name to the new directory name, or
>   - copied all the contents, but then simply deleted the old directory at the
>     end, no need to rename the directory because all the contents have been
>     copied to the new directory.
>
> Is any of this making sense? I guess I should go read the DITA build.xml files.

Well, I'm following you, but it is rather odd. And I'm really
wondering why you're the first person to hit the problem. I'm guessing
that it's these lines:

    <!-- move any remaining files over -->
    <move todir="${basedir}/out/${manual.name}">
      <fileset dir="${basedir}/out/${manual.name}temp"/>
    </move>

And that at this point, Ant is trying to just move the directory,
instead of the remaining files in the directory, over to out/ref,
which is obviously the wrong thing to do. :-)

What version of Ant are you using? Maybe try updating to Ant 1.6.5, if
that's not the version you are already using, since it works properly
for me with 1.6.5 (and 1.6.2, FWIW).

In the meantime, I'll build the HTML ref manual with your change so
that it is easier for others to review (although it looks like there's
already a positive review from Rick).

andrew