db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From Rick Hillegas <Richard.Hille...@Sun.COM>
Subject 10.2.1.5 status
Date Fri, 29 Sep 2006 19:18:31 GMT
First the good news:

1) So far,  no one has found any showstopping runtime problems with the
product itself.

2) We've seen a marked decrease in the rate at which problems in the
release structure pop up.

Now for the bad news:

3) A week into vetting, we've found some more issues with the release
structure and with the release notes.

Once I understand the next rash of edits to the release notes, I'm
inclined to spin a new release candidate and call a new vote. However,
I'm concerned that we haven't found all of the structural problems yet
and I'm worried about exhausting the community's patience by re-starting
the test/vote cycle too many times. Would it be useful to do the following:

A) Post a new release candidate but don't call a vote yet. Just let the
existing vote continue.

B) Ask the structure experts to scrutinize the new candidate carefully.

C) Call a new vote only after the structure experts are satisfied.

I would appreciate the community's advice about how to proceed.

Thanks,
-Rick