db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From Sunitha Kambhampati <ksunitha...@gmail.com>
Subject Looking for framework for performance testing for derby..
Date Thu, 28 Sep 2006 20:47:02 GMT
Currently we do not have performance tests for derby (except for the 2
tests in ..tests/perf).    It will be nice addition to have performance
tests checked in, that anyone can run.

I'm interested in looking at this - to add some kind of  framework where
we can have performance tests for derby.   The goal is to have a
framework where it will be easy for anyone  to add performance tests,
run them easily, compare results on their machines.    This will help us
to spot performance regressions and also give us a better indication of
areas that we can improve derby.  If tests are easily available, more
chance that others can try it out on their favorite platform/jvm
combination and report to the list or wiki.

 From a quick google search-- Apache JMeter looks interesting.. , and so
does JunitPerf (this has BSD license).
Among opensource benchmarks, there is http://polepos.sourceforge.net/
...  They have run tests with derby. Need to look more to see how
suitable they are for derby..
Are there already available frameworks  that we could build our
performance tests upon....Maybe other apache projects might already have
something for performance tests that is working for them.  Has anyone
looked at how other projects handle it..  or have any
suggestions/pointers, I'd appreciate it.

Thanks much,
Sunitha.