db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From Mike Matrigali <mikem_...@sbcglobal.net>
Subject Re: Converting LOB related tests to Junit
Date Tue, 26 Sep 2006 18:31:33 GMT
Another technique that sometimes is best is just don't worry about
edge cases and try "all" the cases.  I remember in the past we had
some edge cases in utf8 conversion code and had a few bugs, and I
believe it was Dan who just went ahead and added a test that tried
every character in the 16 bit range.

So for LOBS it might make sense to try for both insert and select
lob sizes increasing byte by byte for every length from 0 to some
number.  Not sure exactly what number, but at least bigger than
a page, maybe bigger than a couple of network server query buffers?
It might be overkill, but seems like an easy test to write - will
guarantee coverage, and if
it runs too long just throw it into the "resource" intense suite instead
of the nightly.  I seem to remember some network server bugs fixed this
releaase which were "off by one"  kinds of errors that relyed exactly
on a particular byte length in the transfer.