db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From Daniel John Debrunner <...@apache.org>
Subject Re: junit.jar can't be included without src NOTICE (was Re: OK to ship junit.jar?)
Date Tue, 26 Sep 2006 17:30:02 GMT
Andrew McIntyre wrote:
> On 9/26/06, Daniel John Debrunner <djd@apache.org> wrote:
>> Rick Hillegas wrote:
>>

>> > I have checked in a fix (DERBY-1886) which removes junit.jar from the
>> > source distributions. I'd rather not spin a new release candidate.
>> > Instead, I was hoping that the following would be adequate:
>> >
>> > 1) Hand-remove junit.jar from the source distributions for 10.2.1.5.
>> >
>> > 2) Re-sign those distributions.
>> >
>> > Does this sound adequate?
>>
>> -0
>>
>> It may be ok in this case but it is not a good example to set. This
>> means the release is inconsistent, which can be viewed in two ways:
>>    - the source code within the release would not reproduce the same
>> binaries as in the release
>>    - picking up the code from svn directly using the svn revision number
>> in the release will not lead to the same binaries.
>
> Why would this be true if the only change to the -src distribution
> would be to a remove junit.jar, which is not present in the
> repository?

For two reasons:

    1) I presume following the instructions in svn to build derby and a
release package caused the junit.jar to end up in the release

    2) Rick made changes to svn under DERBY-1886 to make sure (I
presume) that if one followed the instructions to build a release that
junit.jar no longer appeared in the package.

Dan.