db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From Rick Hillegas <Richard.Hille...@Sun.COM>
Subject Re: junit.jar can't be included without src NOTICE (was Re: OK to ship junit.jar?)
Date Mon, 25 Sep 2006 15:23:40 GMT
Andrew McIntyre wrote:

> On 9/24/06, Knut Anders Hatlen <Knut.Hatlen@sun.com> wrote:
>

>> > Andrew McIntyre commented on DERBY-1846:
>> > ----------------------------------------
>> >
>> > The jdbc4 classes depend on junit, which we are not able to ship.
>>
>> The source distribution contains junit.jar. Is that a problem?
>

> Excellent question. The policy for Apache projects as of this moment
> is contained here:
>
> http://people.apache.org/~cliffs/3party.html
>
> JUnit is CPL 1.0, so must be included in binary form only, and
> *appropriately labeled*:
> http://people.apache.org/~cliffs/3party.html#labeling-reciprocity
>
> Since the NOTICE file for 10.1.2.5 does not point to the relevant
> source distribution of JUnit that is included, there is a problem with
> our -src distribution. Either junit.jar must be excluded from the -src
> distribution, or the appropriate notice must be included in NOTICE.
>
> Thanks, Knut, for pointing out this problem.
>
> andrew

Hey Andrew,

I have checked in a fix (DERBY-1886) which removes junit.jar from the
source distributions. I'd rather not spin a new release candidate.
Instead, I was hoping that the following would be adequate:

1) Hand-remove junit.jar from the source distributions for 10.2.1.5.

2) Re-sign those distributions.

Does this sound adequate?

Thanks,
-Rick