db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From Rajesh Kartha <karth...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Doc question - Upgrading a database
Date Fri, 22 Sep 2006 23:33:16 GMT

Upgrade in Derby is just booting the old db with newer Derby jars in the
CLASSPATH and passing the
appropriate properties in the url.

However, I do agree the current location  for determining the Derby
version does seem a bit strange and given the  choices
 I think this could go to the "Preparing the upgrade" under a sub
section say "Determining  the Derby version"
or something related.

And possibly adding a line to check the Derby versions being upgraded
from and to to be make things clearer (?).

http://db.apache.org/derby/docs/dev/devguide/tdevpreupgrade.html

Something like:

Before connecting with the new software:

Back up your database to a safe location using Derby online/offline
backup procedures. For more information on backup, see the /Derby Server
and Administration Guide/. *Please
check the Derby version being upgraded from/to*. If you do not perform a
soft upgrade, then once the database is upgraded, it cannot be reverted
back to the previous version.

-Rajesh