db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From Rick Hillegas <Richard.Hille...@Sun.COM>
Subject Re: Missing release notes
Date Mon, 18 Sep 2006 16:47:13 GMT
Thanks for summarizing these issues, Knut Anders. More comments follow...

Knut Anders Hatlen wrote:

>Rick Hillegas <Richard.Hillegas@Sun.COM> writes:
>

>>Knut Anders Hatlen wrote:
>>

>>>Rick Hillegas <Richard.Hillegas@Sun.COM> writes:
>>>

>[....]

>>>There is a proposed release note in one of the comments.
>>>

>>Thanks, Knut Anders. Could you do me a favor and rephrase the release
>>note for DERBY-1314 so that it follows the standard format (Problem,
>>Symptoms, Cause, Solution, Workaround). This will really help me.
>>

>Hi Rick, I have added a release note which follows the standard
>format. I must say that I don't think all of the "behaviour change"
>release notes fit into our standard format.

Thanks!

>For instance, http://wiki.apache.org/db-derby/ReleaseNoteFormat says:
>
>  PROBLEM: a short description of the problem that is being fixed.
>
>  SYMPTOM: a description of the erroneous behavior. How does the user
>  know that they've hit this problem?
>
>Now, if the problem was that the 10.1 implementation was too liberal,
>what is the symptom? That something did not fail? But the release note
>is for 10.2, so the user who reads the release note should rather be
>told which symptoms s/he could see after upgrading to 10.2.
>

>To me it seems like the current format (problem, symptom, cause,
>solution, workaround) is aimed at describing bugs that have been
>fixed, not at describing problems that the user might run into after
>the upgrade. I don't see any field which can be used to describe
>existing application impact, which I thought was the whole point of
>the release notes.

I would put this a little differently. To me the current format seems
focussed on describing defects which have not been fixed and which still
need workarounds. In addition, I'm unclear on the distinction between a
small feature and a big release note. As part of a post-mortem on 10.2,
it would be good to clarify how and when we compile release notes.

Thanks,
-Rick