db-derby-dev mailing list archives

Site index · List index
Message view « Date » · « Thread »
Top « Date » · « Thread »
From Rick Hillegas <Richard.Hille...@Sun.COM>
Subject Re: 10.2 status
Date Thu, 14 Sep 2006 18:01:50 GMT
Daniel John Debrunner wrote:

>Rick Hillegas wrote:
>
>  
>
>>I would like to build a release candidate soon. I would like to do this
>>even though we know that the 10.2 optimizer changes are risky. It has
>>been pointed out that that risk plagues all optimizer modifications and
>>that we must balance that risk against the substantial performance boost
>>provided by these particular changes. I would be willing to delay the
>>release if I believed we had a better plan for encouraging users to
>>test-drive our distributions. Unfortunately, to me the proposed plan for
>>soliciting more participation doesn't seem that different from the
>>previous, ineffective plans. I therefore think it is unlikely that three
>>more weeks will polish 10.2 much. I understand that this decision will
>>disappoint people in the front-lines of tech support--they are the
>>unsung heroes of any engineering effort, the people who bear the brunt
>>of our mistakes.
>>
>>I would like to build a 10.2 release candidate once we remove the
>>following obstacles:
>>
>>1) We need to review and commit patches attached to the two remaining
>>urgent JIRAs: DERBY-1777 and DERBY-1522.
>>
>>2) We need to compile Release Notes--I am close to publishing a first
>>draft.
>>
>>3) We need to clip the JDBC4 disclaimer to the 10.2 user guides.
>>
>>Please let me know if I have left something out. I hope that we can wrap
>>up this work and post a release candidate by early next week. Thanks
>>again for everyone's hard work and good humor.
>>    
>>
>
>Are you planning another "mega-merge"? Seems DERBY-1522 would be covered
>by that.
>
>Dan.
>  
>
Thanks for pointing this out. Yes, I am planning a mega-merge. So we're 
down to one unreviewed/uncommitted patch: DERBY-1777.

Regards,
-Rick


Mime
View raw message