db-derby-dev mailing list archives

Site index · List index
Message view « Date » · « Thread »
Top « Date » · « Thread »
From Daniel John Debrunner <...@apache.org>
Subject Re: 10.2 status
Date Thu, 14 Sep 2006 17:49:46 GMT
Rick Hillegas wrote:

> I would like to build a release candidate soon. I would like to do this
> even though we know that the 10.2 optimizer changes are risky. It has
> been pointed out that that risk plagues all optimizer modifications and
> that we must balance that risk against the substantial performance boost
> provided by these particular changes. I would be willing to delay the
> release if I believed we had a better plan for encouraging users to
> test-drive our distributions. Unfortunately, to me the proposed plan for
> soliciting more participation doesn't seem that different from the
> previous, ineffective plans. I therefore think it is unlikely that three
> more weeks will polish 10.2 much. I understand that this decision will
> disappoint people in the front-lines of tech support--they are the
> unsung heroes of any engineering effort, the people who bear the brunt
> of our mistakes.
> 
> I would like to build a 10.2 release candidate once we remove the
> following obstacles:
> 
> 1) We need to review and commit patches attached to the two remaining
> urgent JIRAs: DERBY-1777 and DERBY-1522.
> 
> 2) We need to compile Release Notes--I am close to publishing a first
> draft.
> 
> 3) We need to clip the JDBC4 disclaimer to the 10.2 user guides.
> 
> Please let me know if I have left something out. I hope that we can wrap
> up this work and post a release candidate by early next week. Thanks
> again for everyone's hard work and good humor.

Are you planning another "mega-merge"? Seems DERBY-1522 would be covered
by that.

Dan.


Mime
View raw message