db-derby-dev mailing list archives

Site index · List index
Message view « Date » · « Thread »
Top « Date » · « Thread »
From Rick Hillegas <Richard.Hille...@Sun.COM>
Subject 10.2 status
Date Thu, 14 Sep 2006 17:39:36 GMT
I would like to build a release candidate soon. I would like to do this 
even though we know that the 10.2 optimizer changes are risky. It has 
been pointed out that that risk plagues all optimizer modifications and 
that we must balance that risk against the substantial performance boost 
provided by these particular changes. I would be willing to delay the 
release if I believed we had a better plan for encouraging users to 
test-drive our distributions. Unfortunately, to me the proposed plan for 
soliciting more participation doesn't seem that different from the 
previous, ineffective plans. I therefore think it is unlikely that three 
more weeks will polish 10.2 much. I understand that this decision will 
disappoint people in the front-lines of tech support--they are the 
unsung heroes of any engineering effort, the people who bear the brunt 
of our mistakes.

I would like to build a 10.2 release candidate once we remove the 
following obstacles:

1) We need to review and commit patches attached to the two remaining 
urgent JIRAs: DERBY-1777 and DERBY-1522.

2) We need to compile Release Notes--I am close to publishing a first draft.

3) We need to clip the JDBC4 disclaimer to the 10.2 user guides.

Please let me know if I have left something out. I hope that we can wrap 
up this work and post a release candidate by early next week. Thanks 
again for everyone's hard work and good humor.

Regards,
-Rick

Mime
View raw message