db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From Daniel John Debrunner <...@apache.org>
Subject Re: readiness of 10.2
Date Thu, 14 Sep 2006 16:06:19 GMT
Rick Hillegas wrote:
> I do not believe we have reached consensus on the readiness of 10.2.
> There seem to be two broad groupings of opinion:
>
> 1) Some people believe that 10.2 is ready for release. These people
> argue that we should downgrade the urgency of the remaining issues which
> block us from building a release candidate. These people also argue that
> we will get faster feedback by releasing 10.2 than by appealing to the
> user community for more extensive testing.
>
> 2) Other people believe that 10.2 is still too green. These people would
> like to see the user community test 10.2 against production applications
> for three weeks in order to shake out instabilities. These people are
> particularly concerned about optimizer-induced instabilities affecting
> the performance and correctness of query plans.
>
> I ask for the community's guidance on how we can reconcile these
> perspectives.

I think at some point the release manager as the "unquestioned
authority" has to take a stand and say what they as the release manager
want to do. Rick, you can choose either of the opinions* but pick one
and run with it. The community will always have differing opinions, at
some level it's what the ASF is about. It's good to try & reconcile them
but it's not going to happen every time.

Dan.
[*I think Jean's third opinion is really the same as 1 but with more detail]