db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From Rick Hillegas <Richard.Hille...@Sun.COM>
Subject readiness of 10.2
Date Wed, 13 Sep 2006 23:06:42 GMT
I do not believe we have reached consensus on the readiness of 10.2.
There seem to be two broad groupings of opinion:

1) Some people believe that 10.2 is ready for release. These people
argue that we should downgrade the urgency of the remaining issues which
block us from building a release candidate. These people also argue that
we will get faster feedback by releasing 10.2 than by appealing to the
user community for more extensive testing.

2) Other people believe that 10.2 is still too green. These people would
like to see the user community test 10.2 against production applications
for three weeks in order to shake out instabilities. These people are
particularly concerned about optimizer-induced instabilities affecting
the performance and correctness of query plans.

I ask for the community's guidance on how we can reconcile these
perspectives.

Thanks,
-Rick