db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From Kathey Marsden <kmarsdende...@sbcglobal.net>
Subject Impact of regressions downstream
Date Wed, 13 Sep 2006 23:05:59 GMT
In  a previous thread Andrew said:
 >Better  to release early so new code gets into actual user's hands so
 >regressions can be flushed out sooner. Regressions happen, and no
 >release is ever go to be perfect (although that would be nice)

The reason I am so regression averse is that there is a tremendous
impact and magnification of regressions downstream when Derby is used as
a component of a larger piece of software.  For example if Derby is used
as a small component in a mission critical piece of software to hold and
manage configuration data. The configuration data is read at start up
and during processing.   If  there is regression and a  null pointer
exception occurs  when reading the Derby data, then that mission
critical piece of software doesn't work at all, so the downstream
severity is much worse.

Kathey