db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From Rick Hillegas <Richard.Hille...@Sun.COM>
Subject Re: jira report question
Date Wed, 13 Sep 2006 20:16:02 GMT
Andrew McIntyre wrote:

> On 9/13/06, Rick Hillegas <Richard.Hillegas@sun.com> wrote:
>

>> Thanks, Andrew. Can you explain some more about what the above url
>> represents?
>

> It's all issues marked Resolved and/or Closed with a Fix In of
> 10.2.1.0. You can navigate to that page by clicking the 'Release
> Notes' button on the front page and then choosing the appropriate
> options on the next page.
>
> Since the release page is HTML, it's convenient to use the HTML
> JIRA-generated release notes to make the section on the Derby release
> page with the list of JIRA issues fixed, as the resulting HTML needs
> minimal rework to insert into the release notes page.
>
>> I need to prune out a lot of these issues:
>>
>> o Some of them are internal issues which end-users don't need to see.
>> E.g., code cleanup.
>

> Just remove the corresponding lines from the JIRA generated release
> notes. If you're searching for brevity, looking at the JIRA generated
> page, all of the miscellaneous JDBC4 'new features', of which there
> look to be about 16, could be removed and only   "[DERBY-587] -
> Providing JDBC 4.0 support for derby" left in the release notes.
>
> I don't include the Task or Test sections.

This approach would work fine if I were generating Release Notes the old
way: as a follow-on job after actually vetting the release. However, we
have decided that we want to bundle Release Notes with the release
candidates themselves. That means I have to amend this list each time I
build a release candidate. I was looking for a solution which would make
it easy to sweep up the incremental slug of bug fixes which go into
successive candidates.

>> o Some of them were also fixed in 10.1.3.1 so we don't want to see them
>

> If they really shouldn't be marked Fix In 10.2.1.0, it is better to
> update the Fix In for the issue to not have 10.2.1.0 as one of the Fix
> In versions so the data in JIRA is correct. Then just regenerate the
> JIRA release notes.

Ah dear. There seems to be some controversy about the contents of that
field. I'm reluctant to touch it until we reach consensus about its meaning.