db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From "Jean T. Anderson" <...@bristowhill.com>
Subject Re: Doc notice for JDBC 4 functionality in Derby 10.2
Date Wed, 13 Sep 2006 18:42:52 GMT
how's this for consolidating yours and mine latest:

This documentation references new JDBC 4.0 functionality that is not
enabled in this Apache Derby 10.2 release because a final Java SE 6
release was not available when this release was produced. JDBC 3.0 will
be available by default when used with a Java SE 6 virtual machine. JDBC
4.0 functionality will only be available to developers who download Java
SE 6 themselves and with it build Derby's optional JDBC 4.0 support.
Please see the Release Notes for details on how to build this optional
JDBC 4.0 functionality. ***Please also note the licensing restrictions
which limit your use of beta versions of Java SE 6. The beta JDK may
only be used for evaluation purposes; the same restriction applies to
Derby's JDBC 4.0 support when built using the beta version of Java SE 6.***

Can we move the portion I highlighted with *** into the release notes
since developers will have to look at that info to understand how to
build in jdbc 4? --I don't think we need to be in the business of
educating users on the license in the reference guide pages I want to
update.

 -jean