db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From "Jean T. Anderson" <...@bristowhill.com>
Subject Re: Doc notice for JDBC 4 functionality in Derby 10.2
Date Wed, 13 Sep 2006 18:22:46 GMT
Jean T. Anderson wrote:
> David Van Couvering wrote:
>
>>Thanks, Jean.
>>
>>A couple of things
>>
>>"when used with a Java SE 6 beta build" - I think we should clarify this
>>by saying "when run with a Java SE 6 virtual machine".
>
> excellent correction -- thanks.
>
>>This will be
>>true whether the Java SE 6 they are using is beta or not, and I think it
>>is important to clarify this as runtime behavior.
>
> JDBC 3 will still be the default with the Java SE 6 final release? Ok;
> probably I didn't follow some discussions closely enough.

sorry, I see exactly what you mean now -- and it's actually what
prompted me to push out that first revision.

How does this sound (still need to nail down build-it-yourself info):

This documentation references new JDBC 4.0 functionality that is not
enabled in this Apache Derby 10.2 release because a final Java SE 6
release was not available when this release was produced. JDBC 3.0 will
be available by default when used with a Java SE 6 virtual machine. JDBC
4.0 functionality will only be available to developers who download Java
SE 6 themselves and build Derby with it [more info TBD, maybe include
reference to Andrew's script, or maybe to a wiki page?].

getting better?

thanks,

 -jean