db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From "Jean T. Anderson" <...@bristowhill.com>
Subject Re: Doc notice for JDBC 4 functionality in Derby 10.2
Date Wed, 13 Sep 2006 18:01:57 GMT
David Van Couvering wrote:
> Thanks, Jean.
>
> A couple of things
>
> "when used with a Java SE 6 beta build" - I think we should clarify this
> by saying "when run with a Java SE 6 virtual machine".

excellent correction -- thanks.

> This will be
> true whether the Java SE 6 they are using is beta or not, and I think it
> is important to clarify this as runtime behavior.

JDBC 3 will still be the default with the Java SE 6 final release? Ok;
probably I didn't follow some discussions closely enough.

> "build Derby with it" - I hope a user doesn't have to build *all* of
> Derby, but instead incrementally build in JDBC4 support such that it is
> added to the existing jar files.  Or is a complete rebuild required?

Good question. Andrew is working on a script [1]. If that jells, maybe
this wording could mention that.

> Also, once they build in JDBC4 support, will JDBC4 be the default when
> running with a Java SE 6 VM?

Up above you said the JDBC 3 is still the default, so I'm confused.

 -jean

[1]
http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/db-derby-dev/200609.mbox/%3c54ac72d70609131008ye629ce1ia713a4464650aac8@mail.gmail.com%3e