db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From Rick Hillegas <Richard.Hille...@Sun.COM>
Subject Re: 10.2 plans (was Re: 10.2 licensing issue)
Date Wed, 13 Sep 2006 13:18:28 GMT
Jean T. Anderson wrote:

>Kathey Marsden wrote:
>

>>Kathy Saunders wrote:
>>

>>>I'm not sure what decisive action we can take prior to a 10.2
>>>release.  We've asked the user community to test with some response,
>>>but not a lot.  The users will only do their testing when they are
>>>motivated.
>>>

>>My proposal is that we embark on a three week motivation campaign until
>>October 3.
>>

><snipped>
>
>We don't have a release candidate yet -- don't we need to get some ducks
>in a row?
>
>(1) Declare consensus on how to proceed with the release.
>
>I believe I hear general agreement that Dan's Plan B is the preferred path:
>

>>Option A - Source only release with JDBC 4.0 based on proposed final draft
>>  Derby 10.2 release is source only, no pre-compiled jars, removes the
>>dependency on the Mustang download.
>>
>>Option B - Release pre-compiled jars without JDBC 4.0 optional build
>>  Option A plus pre-compiled jars without JDBC 4.0, already supported by
>>just compiling without a Java SE 6/Mustang JDK.
>>

>Are there any objections? If not, I recommend moving on to #2.
>
>(2) Produce an actual release candidate for people to test.
>
>The 10.2.1.3-beta is not a releasable candidate because it was built
>with jdk16 (correct?) and I assume that Rick might want to mega-merge in
>any changes since the last mega-merge. Is that a good/bad assumption, Rick?

Hi Jean,

I will definitely want to mega-merge before building a new beta
candidate. The following issues prevent us from building a release
candidate, however:

1) We need to wrap up or downgrade the urgency of the remaining Urgent
issues
(http://issues.apache.org/jira/secure/IssueNavigator.jspa?mode=hide&requestId=12311108).

2) As you've described, we need to adjust the user guides to clarify how
a customer would see JDBC4 behavior.

3) We need to bundle Release Notes with the distribution. I'm working on
this right now.

Regards,
-Rick