db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From Kathey Marsden <kmarsdende...@sbcglobal.net>
Subject Re: 10.2 plans (was Re: 10.2 licensing issue)
Date Wed, 13 Sep 2006 01:04:22 GMT
Kathy Saunders wrote:

> I'm not sure what decisive action we can take prior to a 10.2
> release.  We've asked the user community to test with some response,
> but not a lot.  The users will only do their testing when they are
> motivated.

My proposal is that we embark on a three week motivation campaign until
October 3.  I know it is late to start on this but I would really like
to try and rattle the bushes and think we can get more interest.   Then
wait for a steady state of a week without any new regressions.  If there
have been no regressions filed for a week as of October 3, we call a
vote.  Does that sound ok?

This is what I propose in terms of beta marketing.

-  Come up with a list of ideas of beta things to try that might pop
issues. For example Army's list [1]  is very good.  Specific risk areas
that might be of interest to users.  I will start a wiki page where they
can be added.
-   Folks can send out targeted beta test requests to as many users as
they  can where they work and elsewhere that use Derby.  Best to ask
them to try something specific that might interest them and of course
ask them to ask two more,  chain letter style #:)
-  Get the beta announcement  prominently on the download site with a
link to the beta.  with the pre-release upgrade option. Is this legal
and ok?

 I sent beta  out to some interested users  a while back and need to
pester them and collect feedback and will try to contact more. Rick, did
you contact the users on UsesOfDerby. I noticed you added email
addresses.  Did you contact these folks?    What Apache lists would be
good to query about trying Derby?

Sorry for the late start on this, but I am ready to jump on this effort
myself and hope others are motivated to do it as well.

Kathey