db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From Kathy Saunders <kat...@mtrad.com>
Subject Re: 10.2 plans (was Re: 10.2 licensing issue)
Date Tue, 12 Sep 2006 14:11:50 GMT
Myrna van Lunteren wrote:

> For what it's worth, my position is somewhere in the middle. I think
> there are some worrying aspects to some of those optimizer-related
> regressions. Also, I feel we're still scrambling on 10.2.; still
> documentation changes are being worked on...Now that in a way some of
> the pressure to release is off, we need to take another look at
> changes slated for 10.2.2 and see if there are any that really should
> go in to make the first release of 10.2 but we've dropped because of
> lack of time.
>
> If we release now, we should focus activities for 10.2.2 with the goal
> of making it more robust as well as having the jdbc40 support in.
>
> Myrna

Hi,

To clarify my opinions, here's what I'm concerned about:

1 - If there are quality issues that  anyone thinks we should fix, then
what are those specific issues?  Advocate to get them on Rick's list to
fix before a release should happen.  General concerns about quality at
this point are a problem for me as I don't understand what we are to do
before we can have a release.  I do believe there are regressions out
there.  I do believe there are regressions in the optimizer specifically
because that's difficult code and from other products I've worked on
when you make significant changes to the optimizer, you almost always
have other issues pop up, and it's not necessarily easy to get them to
surface.  But, if you continue to hold up a release because of
regression concerns, you'll never have one.  In my opinion, it's
generally time to get this release done, once we have the known
significant issues resolved.  If we really believe we need more testing,
then what is that testing and who is going to do it?  Discussion on
quality is healthy, but at this point in the release process I believe
we need to be specific about what actions or outcome we need to complete
the release.

2 - Regarding the Mustang and JDBC 4 issue, my general opinion is that
if Mustang is still coming out in October then it may be worth it to
continue on our current path and do a release that includes JDBC 4.  If
Mustang is delayed, then I think it's just time to get 10.2 done to get
some of the other good features out there.  It's been quite a while
since we've had a feature release.  Does anyone know the current
schedule for Mustang?

Kathy