db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From Kathey Marsden <kmarsdende...@sbcglobal.net>
Subject Re: Release Notes
Date Fri, 08 Sep 2006 21:27:27 GMT
Daniel John Debrunner wrote:

>I'm not sure, I was just trying to understand your reasoning as to why
>bugs fixed in the code line would be excluded. The last release seems a
>reasonable approach.

My reasoning for not marking multiple versions is that the fix ends up
getting rolled up into the Jira release notes for the  next release.
DERBY-176 for example  is marked fixed in 10.2.1.0 and 10.3.0.0  (Thanks
for the fix BTW!)

It is in the Jira 10.2.1.0 release notes
https://issues.apache.org/jira/secure/ReleaseNote.jspa?version=11187&styleName=Html&projectId=10594&Create=Create
(That makes sense to me)

It is in the 10.3.0.0 release notes
https://issues.apache.org/jira/secure/ReleaseNote.jspa?version=12310800&styleName=Html&projectId=10594&Create=Create
(That doesn't make sense to me)

but it will not be in the 10.4.0.0 release notes  presumably the fix
implicit because it is fixed in 10.3, but of course it was really fixed
in a previous release.  But why  should it be in the 10.3 release notes
then?

My thought was that it should just be marked fixed 10.2.1.0   and then
not show up in the 10.3 release notes at all.

I just don't at all understand what the Jira release notes mean the way
we work it now.  I guess   the main thing that we document what our
release notes mean.  If we use some other format and  the Jira release
note mechinism doesn't mean anything to us, then we should probably make
that clear somewhere too.

Kathey