db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From "Lance J. Andersen" <Lance.Ander...@Sun.COM>
Subject Re: SQL state 42, access permissions, SQL standard and JDBC 4.0
Date Thu, 07 Sep 2006 21:03:42 GMT

> The javadoc SQLSyntaxErrorException for says:
>
> The subclass of SQLException thrown when the SQLState class value is
> '42'. This indicates that the in-progress query has violated SQL syntax
> rules.
>
> This somewhat in-conflict with the SQL Standard.
>
> Can a JDBC driver thrown an exception with SQLState '42' and the
> exception not be a SQLSyntaxErrorException?

Well we put this part of the spec to bed early 2005 so my memory is
groggy, but it looks to me that our intent was whenever a SQLState class
value of 42 occurs, th SQLSyntaxErrorException was thrown which would cover

syntax error or access rule violation

I am just sanity checking this now with my EG and will update the paper
spec accordingly and have to wait for the first patch of SE 6 to tweak
the javadocs

-lance