db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From Daniel John Debrunner <...@apache.org>
Subject Re: SQL state 42, access permissions, SQL standard and JDBC 4.0
Date Thu, 07 Sep 2006 20:38:44 GMT
Mamta Satoor wrote:

> Does 'N/A' in JDBC 4.0 spec(Table 6.1) mean Derby is free to choose the the
> SQL State number? If so, then I think we shold definitely use '42'
> for access rule violation since that will satisfy SQL specification too.
>
> Also it seems for access rule violation, SQLInvalidAuthorizationException
> would be the correct exception to throw.

Given that Lance just said '28' is for SQLInvalidAuthorizationException
and the javadoc says:

"The subclass of SQLException thrown when the SQLState class value is
'28'. This indicated that the authorization credentials presented during
connection establishment are not valid."

It doesn't seem that SQLInvalidAuthorizationException is correct for
access violations.

Dan.