db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From Ole Solberg <Ole.Solb...@Sun.COM>
Subject Re: Contribution of/repository for testing infrastructure tools (was Re: Running a Derby JUnit test using JUnit directly)
Date Thu, 07 Sep 2006 18:00:47 GMT
Andrew McIntyre wrote:
> On 9/6/06, Kathey Marsden <kmarsdenderby@sbcglobal.net> wrote:
>

>> Actually I am curious about this tool and think maybe  the tool itself
>> and other testing infrastructure tools might really be great
>> contribution to the community.

The internal tool we use for testing originated as a tool to handle HA
database testing. It allows us to define test-rigs consisting of servers
and clients, and run sets of tests on several test-rigs in parallel.
Tests are defined in XML-files which essentially allow us to specify
setups and teardowns, e.g. starting and stopping databases, and JUnit
based test methods which are run from clients against the database(s).
Results are reported to a test result database which eases creation of
different kinds of test reports for testers, developers and managers.

I am afraid this tool would need quite some work to be open-sourced.
We would have to do both documentation and code cleanup, removing
dependencies to other parts of our testing infrastructure, as well as
resolution of legal issues. We would very much like to do this, but we
do not have resources for it at the moment.

The reporting scripts, which has already been donated in DERBY-812 in an
earlier version, is a different thing. These are built for creating
reports from the Derby test harness results and are independent of the
rest of our testing infrastructure. We have also made some simple
interfacing scripts to extract results from our internal test
infrastructure tool into these reports.

> +10 - definitely would be a great contribution to the community. It
> would allow for collaboration and enhancement of the scripts to make
> testing easier for everyone in the community.
Thanks!! That's nice to hear!

>> I am not sure exactly where these tools would be checked in, but are
>> certainly worthy of a place.
>

> Tools for testing should go somewhere under tools/testing. :-)  Maybe
> tools/testing/reporting or tools/testing/tinderbox (if applicable) or
> something similar.
>
> I could check in the scripts from DERBY-812, but maybe there's a newer
> version that's more worthy of being committed?

The newer version of the reporting scripts which also attempts to do
some failure analysis could in the short-term be uploaded as an update
to DERBY-812.
I would definitely like to put this into the repository so as to allow
enhancements of the scripts by the community!
Anyway, I would first like to go over them to generalize possible
site-specific stuff which may have sneaked in.

I will start by moving the scripts into my Derby sandbox, e.g. under
tools/testing/reporting as suggested, and start the cleanup.

I also have plans to make the failure analysis more "intelligent", but
don't know yet how high on the priority list that ends up.

--
Ole Solberg, Database Technology Group,
Sun Microsystems, Trondheim, Norway