db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From Kathey Marsden <kmarsdende...@sbcglobal.net>
Subject Re: DRDA Spec, update
Date Thu, 07 Sep 2006 05:05:53 GMT
Rick Hillegas wrote:

> I don't get the impression that standards bodies have good models for
> how to deal with open source efforts. If anyone can recommend a good
> resource on this topic, please let us all know.

Thanks Rick for your continued effort in this.

To me the interesting thing from a practical perspective is that if  the
Derby community were to provide useful extensions  even without a
corporate connection and make them publicly available and free of all
strings, wouldn't those standard bodies be foolish not to pick them up
and take advantage of them?  It seems to me that your current opengroup
setup sounds like a good start to open up receptivity and communication.
Hopefully at some point it won't be necessary to have a corporate
connection, while that is still required, your  multi company setup
sounds healthier than having just a single corporate entry point.

I am sorry I don't know of any good resource on this and a Google search
did not glean much for me.  I seem to recall Dan mentioning an article
in passing one day but may have imagined it.

Kathey