db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From Army <qoz...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: dblook and lower-case table names created with double-quotes, doc bug or "bug" bug?
Date Wed, 06 Sep 2006 21:16:47 GMT
Army wrote:

> With K-shell on Windows the double-quotes are stripped off before before
> they ever make it to dblook.  So this ends up looking for a table named
> LOWER_CASE_QUOTED_WORD, which doesn't exist.

<snip>

> but that's not all--K-shell looks at the space as an argument delimiter
> and thus  the above command will look for tables named '"lower_case',
> 'quoted', and 'three_words"'--i.e. won't find any of them.

As a follow-up thought, perhaps you could file an enhancement request so that
instead of printing:

-- The dblook utility will consider only specified tables.

dblook will actually print the table names as it received them from the command
line.  Then the user can see what s/he passed in and can perhaps catch cases
where the quotes were misused.  I don't know know off-hand how hard that would
be, but perhaps it's worth a Jira...

Army