db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From Suresh Thalamati <suresh.thalam...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Options for syncing of log to disk
Date Tue, 05 Sep 2006 00:35:29 GMT
Knut Anders Hatlen wrote:
> Mike Matrigali <mikem_app@sbcglobal.net> writes:
>

>>I actually don't even know if
>>we have ever run a set of tests on freebsd. I wonder if anyone in
>>the comunity has tried out the 10.2 beta on feebsd?  Just the
>>results of a nightly test run would be interesting.
>

> I frequently run derbyall on FreeBSD 6.1. With Diablo JDK 1.5.0-7
> (native JDK built on J2SE 5.0 update release 7), the upgrade test
> fails to boot the database because of a FileNotFoundException (but the
> error message says "file exists").

Thanks for running tests on FreeBsd, Knut. It is a good addtion  to
the list of platforms the derby is tested on,

The error you are seeing in the uprade test failures seems to be
similar to the ones seen on Mac
(DERBY-1(http://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/DERBY-1)) in version
10.0 while creating a database on some versions of JVMS. . I vaguely
remember reading some where on the internet that  "rws" fails on
FreeBSD too, on some jvm versions.  DERBY-1 was addressed in 10.1,
with an workaround fix that changes the defaullt log file writes to
file sync, if a FileNotFoundException occurs during a file creation
with write sync.

May be the upgrade test is failing while creating a database in
version 10.0 using write sync ("rws"), while testing upgrade from 10.0
to 10.1 ; just a wild guess.

Thanks
-suresh