db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From Bryan Pendleton <bpendle...@amberpoint.com>
Subject Re: ALTER TABLE NULL-NOT NULL not merged WAS Re: 10.2 status
Date Sat, 02 Sep 2006 16:31:00 GMT
> In the open source world however, by releasing the code and allowing
> others to use it, the more eyes syndrome means that the "testing by
> chance" becomes the significant factor, thus the quality increases by
> releasing it.

I completely agree. Release early, release often, get real feedback from real users.

Regarding your point about whether there is any additional work planned:
I don't know of any additional such work on the *code*; however, there is
documentation work needed, recorded in JIRA as DERBY-1765. I would like
to contribute to the documentation work but am not going to get to that soon.

So if we merge DERBY-119 back to 10.2, it would get released in an
undocumented fashion, at least until we found the time to address DERBY-1765.

Release Manager Rick, do you care to express an opinion here? Anybody else?

I am partial to Dan's observations, and my inclination is to go ahead and
merge DERBY-119 to the 10.2 branch, unless I hear otherwise. So I'll put it
like this: if nobody expresses a contrary opinion in the next 60 hours or so,
I'll merge DERBY-119 back to the 10.2 branch.

Thanks for the good discussion, Dan.

bryan