db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From Daniel John Debrunner <...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Doc Review: Reference Guide.
Date Fri, 01 Sep 2006 16:54:20 GMT
Army wrote:

> -- 1--
>
> Sub-section: Built-in functions -> CAST -> Conversions of XML values
>
> The following sentence seems a bit odd:
>
>   An XML value cannot be converted to a non-XML type. To convert an XML
>   value to a string, you must use the SQL/XML serialization operator
>   XMLSERIALIZE.
>
> It sounds like we're saying "You can't do <a>, but in order to do <a>,
> here's what you do."  Maybe reword to:
>
>   An XML value cannot be converted to any non-XML type using a CAST. You
>   can, however, retrieve an XML value as a string by using the SQL/XML
>   serialization operator XMLSERIALIZE.
>
> Or something to that effect.

To be correct XMLSERIALZE converts to a 'character type', not a
'string'. String is Java terminology, this is the SQL reference.
And similar to the comment below, XMLSERIALIZE does not 'retrieve'
anything, it's just a SQL operator.

Maybe something like

An XML value cannot be converted to any non-XML type using an explicit
or implicit CAST. The XMLSERIALIZE operator provides the ability to
represent (convert?) an XML type as (to?) a character type.

> -- 10 --
>
> Sub-section: Built-in functions -> XMLSERIALIZE:
>
> Something about this sentence seems awkard to me:
>
>   Using the XMLSERIALIZE operator is the only way that you
>   can view serialized contents.
>
> Can we reword it to something like the following (in the context of the
> page, this suggestion seems more appropriate than it does right here):
>
>   There is no other way to view the contents of a Derby XML
>   value.

The use of 'view' here is very strange and I think incorrect.
XMLSERIALIZE is an operator that converts a XML type to a character
type, it does not provide any viewing capabilities. The ability to view
such a value is provided by the application (e.g. ij or a web-browser).

Dan.