db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From Craig L Russell <Craig.Russ...@Sun.COM>
Subject Building Derby
Date Tue, 01 Aug 2006 23:12:29 GMT
Hi,

I ran across an interesting issue while building Derby. I checked out
the latest sources and ran ant from the top. I read the ant output
and found this:

genParser:
      [echo]   Generating SQL parser...
      [java] Java Compiler Compiler Version 4.0 (Parser Generator)
      [java] (type "javacc" with no arguments for help)
      [java] Reading from file sqlgrammar.jj . . .
      [java] Note: UNICODE_INPUT option is specified. Please make
sure you create the parser/lexer using a Reader with the correct
character encoding.
      [java] Warning: ParseException.java: File is obsolete.  Please
rename or delete this file so that a new one can be generated for you.
      [java] Warning: Token.java: File is obsolete.  Please rename or
delete this file so that a new one can be generated for you.
      [java] Warning: CharStream.java: File is obsolete.  Please
rename or delete this file so that a new one can be generated for you.
      [java] Parser generated with 0 errors and 3 warnings.

Thinking I had done something wrong, I followed instructions and
removed the 3 obsolete files. Now I could not build any more. I got
messages like this:

genParser:

compile:
     [javac] Compiling 149 source files to /Users/clr/derby/trunk/
classes
     [javac] /Users/clr/derby/trunk/java/engine/org/apache/derby/impl/
sql/compile/ParserImpl.java:141: cannot find symbol
     [javac] symbol  : method ReInit(java.io.Reader,int,int,int)
     [javac] location: interface
org.apache.derby.impl.sql.compile.CharStream
     [javac]                     charStream.ReInit(sqlText, 1, 1,
LARGE_TOKEN_SIZE);

Once I went back and restored the three files to their checked-in
versions, everything worked again.

This indicates to me that the sources for these three files in
sqlgrammar.jj are not in sync with the generated java files.

Was this intentional? Should we add a note in BUILDING.txt to explain
what is going on?

Thanks,

Craig

Craig Russell