db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From Craig L Russell <Craig.Russ...@Sun.COM>
Subject BUILDING.txt
Date Fri, 04 Aug 2006 05:37:42 GMT
I'll write up a note for BUILDING.txt, but I'd like to put in some
more material than "These error messages are to be expected."
Something like a real explanation of why the .java files appear to be
out of sync with the source .jj files.

Does anyone know the history here? Is this something that we should
at some point actually fix in the sources?

Craig

David wrote:
These error messages are to be expected.  I agree BUILDING.txt should
warn people to expect this, I agree it is disconcerting.

David

Craig L Russell wrote:
 > Hi,
 >
 > I ran across an interesting issue while building Derby. I checked out
 > the latest sources and ran ant from the top. I read the ant output
and
 > found this:
 >
 > genParser:
 >      [echo]   Generating SQL parser...
 >      [java] Java Compiler Compiler Version 4.0 (Parser Generator)
 >      [java] (type "javacc" with no arguments for help)
 >      [java] Reading from file sqlgrammar.jj . . .
 >      [java] Note: UNICODE_INPUT option is specified. Please make sure
 > you create the parser/lexer using a Reader with the correct character
 > encoding.
 >      [java] Warning: ParseException.java: File is obsolete.  Please
 > rename or delete this file so that a new one can be generated for
you.
 >      [java] Warning: Token.java: File is obsolete.  Please rename or
 > delete this file so that a new one can be generated for you.
 >      [java] Warning: CharStream.java: File is obsolete.  Please
rename
 > or delete this file so that a new one can be generated for you.
 >      [java] Parser generated with 0 errors and 3 warnings.
 >
 > Thinking I had done something wrong, I followed instructions and
removed
 > the 3 obsolete files. Now I could not build any more. I got messages
 > like this:
 >
 > genParser:
 >
 > compile:
 >     [javac] Compiling 149 source files to /Users/clr/derby/trunk/
classes
 >     [javac]
 > /Users/clr/derby/trunk/java/engine/org/apache/derby/impl/sql/
compile/ParserImpl.java:141:

 > cannot find symbol
 >     [javac] symbol  : method ReInit(java.io.Reader,int,int,int)
 >     [javac] location: interface
org.apache.derby.impl.sql.compile.CharStream