db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From "Andrew McIntyre" <mcintyr...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: DERBY-119: any objections to committing to trunk?
Date Thu, 24 Aug 2006 05:54:04 GMT
On 8/23/06, Bryan Pendleton <bpendleton@amberpoint.com> wrote:
> I propose to commit DERBY-119 to the trunk within the next week.
>
>     http://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/DERBY-119
>
> This is a new feature, and should not be merged to 10.2, but my
> understanding is that all the mass-merging from the trunk to 10.2
> is complete and it is ok to start putting new work into the trunk.

A good explanation of how releases and development interact at Apache
is at http://httpd.apache.org/dev/release.html - although I notice
that page is just a little bit stale with references to CVS and such.
But take note of the section "How does an impending release affect
development?"

The trunk is now 10.3, features appropriate for 10.3 can and should go
in there. The release has its own branch in which to stabilize, so
there are no restrictions as to what goes in to the trunk. Also, Rick
could decide this (and/or, say, DERBY-1489 ;-) ) are important enough
to go into the release and merge the change to the 10.2 branch if he
so desired. The quality of the ensuing release candidate will then be
judged on its own merit.

That's the long story. The short story is: if you think something is
ready and you want to check it into the trunk, then go ahead and do
it.

andrew

p.s. as an aside, I think the httpd release page referenced above
fails to capture that a project's PMC can prevent a release from
occurring, even if the release vote in the community passes by the
rules on that page. As Geir pointed out on this list, PMCs release
software, not RMs, so the PMC (and, if there is contention there, the
PMC Chair and/or the Board) has the final say as to whether something
can be released.