db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From "Andrew McIntyre" <mcintyr...@gmail.com>
Subject spec license updated, looks good (was Re: publishing to the Apache mirrors)
Date Mon, 14 Aug 2006 23:54:54 GMT
While the licensing issue is definitely a problem for publishing the
beta via the mirrors, it appears that the spec license has been

>From the license, here:

"No provision of this Agreement shall be understood to
restrict your ability to make and distribute to third
parties applications written to the Specification."

> Jean T. Anderson wrote:
> > Rick Hillegas wrote:
> >
> >>I don't know. It was suggested last week that we publish the beta to the
> >>mirrors to broaden its exposure. The intention wasn't to claim that it
> >>was GA-ready. I'm trying to figure out what is entailed in publishing a
> >>beta to the Apache mirrors. Has this been done before? Maybe I should
> >>copy the distribution to svn.apache.org rather than www.apache.org? I'm
> >>muddled by the description at http://www.apache.org/dev/mirrors.html.
> >
> > anything that is put on the asf mirrors must be voted on, approved by
> > the pmc, signed etc. The asf doesn't require that a distribution be "GA
> > ready".
> Rick, earlier in another thread [1] you wrote:
> > I don't think that this beta can become a release. It has some serious
> > defects, including the licensing issues. However, those defects do not
> > prevent users from testing the completed features. I'm hoping we will
> > get significant feedback during this beta period so that the next
> > distribution can be a serious release candidate
> No, this should not go up on the mirrors.
>  -jean
> [1]
> http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/db-derby-dev/200608.mbox/%3c44E0C99A.1070109@sun.com%3e

View raw message